Autism is a disorder that is usually characterized by repetitive and restricted behavior. Its cause is unknown till now. It is characterized by difficulties with social interaction and communication. About 1.5% of children are affected by autism in developed countries.
TREATMENT OF AUTISM
In today’s time, there are various programs and medical treatments available for treating autism. However, not all of them work well for different people as everyone has their difficulties and shortcomings. Here we would discuss with you the best proven effective treatments of autism which are widely practised. Following are the major evidence based autism treatment that has proved effective in most cases. With the assistance of therapist and family support, the patient can recover in a short period.
1. Applied Behavioral Therapy (ABA)
It is derived from behavioral psychology it works by changing behavior systematically. It is believed to be the best treatment for Autism.
Its benefits are:-
- (ABA) works by discouraging negative behaviors and encouraging positive behavior.
- (ABA) also, increase motivation for learning in children.
- (ABA) teaches to deal with different situations according to the new thought skills.
- According to various studies (ABA) has been proven to increase IQ levels significantly
2. Speech Therapy
As people suffering from Autism face many challenges in everyday life due to difficulties in social communication another good option for their good treatment is Speech Therapy.
Some of its benefits are:-
- Speech Therapy promotes natural communication with the help of the child’s peers.
- Helps people to form relationships and function properly in everyday life.
- Also helps to communicate non-verbally.
- Develops skills for communications.
- It also helps to increase the spectrum of ideas in people’s minds.
3. Occupational Therapy (OT)
It is the therapy best known to make the individuals as independent as possible. The skill taught can be dressing, eating, bathing, and also various skills related to people.
Some benefits of Occupational Therapy for individuals having autism are:-
- With the help of (OT) people learn to become independent and participate in everyday activities.
- (OT) helps to manage sensory distresses.
- It helps in teaching to improving balance and co-ordination.
- It helps to develop body awareness and coping with changes.
- A child may learn how to focus on tasks.
- An individual usually learns to express their feeling adequately.
- A child may learn how to delay gratification.
4. Physical Therapy (PT)
Physical therapy for Autism involves exercises and activities so that the individual suffering from autism may improve their strength, posture, and balance in space.
Some benefits of Physical Therapy for autism are:-
- This therapy is believed to improve coordination and balance.
- (PT) helps to improve personal confidence in social situations such as communication.
- (PT) helps in improving mood and behavior.
- It is proven to improve skills like walking, talking, listening, etc.
5. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a psychological treatment used for various reasons such as drug abuse, mental illness, personality disorders, anxiety problems, eating disorders, etc.
Some benefits of it for people having autism are:-
- (CBT) helps in solving hopelessly difficult problems by breaking them into small parts.
- (CBT) helps in eliminating the trapped negative thoughts.
- (CBT) helps in promoting self-care, awareness, and emotional understanding.
- (CBT) helps people recognize their behaviors and emotions, surroundings, and various aspects of life so that they improve their thoughts for a better future.
The above-mentioned treatments are effective as researched by scientists. Anyhow, for the treatment of any loved one not only medical or related treatment is needed but collectively family’s support, understanding, and affection is the most important factor for treating and improving the condition of the affected person.
Co-Founder / Editor
Content Writer, Researcher, and Blogger.